The CWB is one of the useful apps in the App Exchange for documenting key meta data information of any Salesforce organization. It is the most convenient and unique app that is used to maintain the information of a Salesforce org’s meta data like Record types, Objects, Profile, Relationships, Validation rules, Apex class, Apex triggers, and etc.
Challenge with manually maintaining Configuration Workbook:
- Large organizations use multiple record types, profiles, objects, relationships, validation rules, Apex classes, triggers, managed packages, etc.
- Maintaining the metadata information of these components might not be a challenge for smaller organizations with limited number of active SF components, but maintaining the same for larger SF organizations would be time consuming and very complex.
Why choose CWB?
- Ease of use: The way of downloading the list of components is very easy with CWB tool, Very clean and user-friendly user interface.
- Quality of document: The CWB document design and content are good and visually impressive, so the users can differentiate fields easily.
Installing the CWB:
1. Log into your SF account and open App Exchange and search for “CWB” and open the “Config Workbook”.
2. Click on “Get It Now”
3. Click on the “Log in to the AppExchange”, enter the username and password if needed.
4. Select the Installation location either “Production” or “sandbox” and agree the terms and conditions and then Install it.
5. Select the access level–like who will use the app, whether admin only or all users or specific profile users and click on Install or Upgrade.
6. Third Party Access is required; So, Approve the Third Party Access via check the grant access checkbox while installing.
7. Then Click on the Continue button; now, the Installation is started and necessary permissions are given to the selected people.
8. If the Installation Progress took more time, then the following screen appears. Click on Done.
9. After the Installation completes, you will receive an email regarding the Installation.
How to verify the details of the CWB App after installation?
First log into Salesforce and Go to Setup [Symbol] Build [Symbol] Installed Packages.
You will see an application named as “SFDC Config Workbook” and the installation details like dates, newly added tabs and newly added objects.
How to use the CWB?
First log into Salesforce and select the application as “CWB Tool” and click on tab named as “CWB Tool”.
Dashboard contains flow chart diagrams that represent the status of your organization like All Metadata details, Apex Details, Profile Details, Login IP Behavior, Login Behavior, and Login Profile Behavior.
We can also refresh the Dashboard to view the changes immediately.
It shows the License details and history of metadata downloaded.
Downloadable List of Metadata Details:
- Permission Set
- Apex Code
- Page Layout
- Approval Process
- Static Resource
- Custom Applications
- Modified Details like Object update, Custom Field update, Layout Update and Workflow Update
- Compare Profile
- Update Metadata
Code Comparator and Object Comparator are used to compare data between two different connected SF organizations.
We can compare Apex Class, Apex Page, Apex Components, and Apex Trigger.
We can compare profiles within the same org as well as with other salesforce orgs.
We choose the Source Profile and Target Profile and we can view the details within the browser itself or we can download those comparison details in the form of excel sheet.
We can update the metadata for Validation Rules, Workflow Rules, Field Level Security and Object Permissions. We can also update the metadata of other connected orgs.
We can’t edit the conditions for the validation rules, but we can add a description and we can activate or deactivate the validation rules.
We can’t edit the conditions of the workflow rules, but we can add a description and can activate or deactivate the Workflow Rule.
Field Level Security:
The Field Level Security (Read only or Edit) permissions can be updated for Standard or Custom Profiles, as shown below.
Object Permissions: The Object permissions can also be updated for Standard or Custom Profiles.
Fixed contract for all types of organizations because it is a monthly contract only.
- All licenses are tied to a single org.
- No auto renewals.
- License purchased for production org, doesn’t work in all related sandboxes.
- A new license is needed for each sandbox.
- Validity of license will expire in case Sandbox is refreshed or Org ID is changed for any reason.
- Single and Multi-user licenses lock down the users. CWB interface offers easy association of users, so be careful about releasing access of the app to required users only, based on the number of purchased licenses.
Limitation of Free product:
- Object, profile, permission set limited to 5.
- Metadata detail of the app, approval process, site, static resources are not available. [both free version and paid version]
CWB is a huge time saver. Without CWB, we need to document all meta data details manually and it might take many days to complete and again human error might cause additional delays. Another challenge is constantly maintaining the document to reflect all changes in SF.
CWB AppExchange Link: https://appexchange.salesforce.com/listingDetail?listingId=a0N30000000q4evEAA